What is a Personal Brand?

I am often asked, "What is a Personal Brand?" and the implication is, "How do I get one?" A personal brand is similar to a product brand in that it's more about your actual reputation in the mind’s of others (i.e., what people think about you) than it is about what you want other people to think. 

Like a product brand, how other people experience you heavily influences your reputation in their eyes. Unlike a product brand, however, you don't need to advertise, brag or otherwise try to make people think about you in a certain way. You simply need to BE that person you want them to know and then make sure they know you. Products have to work hard to be unique, but you don't. 

The other question I get is, "Why do I need a personal brand?" Of course, because you have a reputation of some kind, you already have a personal brand whether you try or not, so here’s how to find out if it’s working to your advantage or now: 

• Is your reputation positioning you for the kinds of opportunities you're looking for in the near future? 
  • Are people in your network introducing you to opportunities you want? 
  • When you need something, can you pick up the phone and find it (or how to get it) quickly? 
  • Do you get unsolicited invitations to meetings, conferences or other influential venues where you can visibly contribute value? 

In short, any time your reputation delivers you the right opportunities because of who you are, in addition to what you do, then your personal brand is working for you. 

Personal Branding is a practice. In the lessons below I'll share more in-depth insight into what you can do to build your personal brand, but what I want you to internalize right now is that you are building your personal brand every day. With more intent on your part, over time your personal brand can become a strong career asset. The key words here are "over time," which means that your personal brand is something you need to tend, as opposed to any one thing you do or say.