Why Do Career Planning?

Maybe you’re restless at work, uninspired, angry at your boss... or just daydreaming about what new things your future may hold. Pay attention to these “early warning signs” of job dissatisfaction! It means it’s time to revisit your goals and do some career planning. 

In the midst of a busy life, it’s easy to become passive or complacent about your career. But I can guarantee you that being proactive will deliver you more work-life satisfaction in the short-term and the long-term. And you don’t want to wait to start career planning until you “have” to get a new job. This is a process you don’t want to rush. 

I've helped so many people successfully exit a "meh" career phase that I know how confusing career planning is when you don't have to get a new job, but you're not all that excited for things to stay as they are, either... Here’s why you want to start career planning today: 

• there are better opportunities out there and -- if you take the time to position yourself for your next career move -- they will find you when the time is right 
  • being clear on your career goals will help you use your current job to gain the skills, connections and experiences that will help you get where you’re going more quickly 
  • actively working on your career plan is the best way to “accidentally” tap the hidden job market for opportunities that haven’t been (and may never) be posted to a job site 

Below are my go-to coaching strategies to help you stay competitive and tap the hidden job market so you'll be able to move to your perfect job when you're ready. 

Don’t wait for a career crisis to get you moving. Take charge of your happiness by setting your intentions on your next job now, and positioning yourself to be the best candidate for it when opportunity knocks.